Dynamic Health Psychological Services is a centre of excellence for providing Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy (ISTDP).
We offer psychological services for a range of commonly experienced difficulties:
Have you undergone unclear or negative medical tests for physical symptoms, such as those listed below? Approximately 10% of people at some point in their life will experience a painful or distressing physical symptoms that persist despite a lack of medical explanation (i.e., absence of known pathology). Symptoms can be exacerbated when individuals find it difficult to control illness worry and become preoccupied with understanding the cause of their symptoms. Somatic Symptom Disorder is the current diagnostic label used to describe these related issues.
Have you had unclear or negative medical tests for physical symptoms?
Do you find it difficult to control your anxiety about illness or physical symptoms?
Perhaps you experience ongoing symptoms despite prescribed medications?
Do you notice your physical symptoms are worse during stressful life events?
- Irritable Bowel
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Conversion Disorder
- Psychogenic Movement Disorders
- Sexual health (erectile dysfunction, genital pain)
- Tension headaches and migraine
- Tension Myositis Syndrome (TMS)
- Unexplained gastrointestinal symptoms (Abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting)
- Neurological symptoms (body weakness, dizziness, fainting, tinnitus, visual disturbance)
- Non-epileptic Seizures
- Urethral Syndrome
- Non-organic chest pain
Mental & Emotional health
- Adjustment difficulties to major life transitions
- Anxiety, chronic worry, obsessive-compulsive
- Depressed mood, low energy, no enjoyment, poor sleep, low appetite
- Eating disorders, weight issues, body image
- Grief, loss, bereavement
- Personality disorder
- Phobias, fears and panic attacks
- Post-traumatic stress
- Relationship difficulties
- Sexual difficulties
- Stress and burnout
- Substance use
Operational stress injury
Understanding that symptoms of OSI’s are an expectable reaction to stress is an important first step to take towards recovery. This is often necessary to help prevent a person from getting too down on themselves, and to provide the motivation needed to start to talk about their experiences.
- Current regular members of the Canadian Armed Forces can speak to their health care provider on base to discuss their concerns.
- Veterans of the Canadian Armed Forces or retired RCMP can approach their Area Counsellor at Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC), or call the contact Centre, at 1-866-522-2122.
- Members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police should speak to their Health Services Officer.
Work & School stress
If you or someone close to you are stuck in a rut, and the usual ways of coping are not working, speaking to an experienced professional to arrange an assessment meeting can be your first step toward improvement.
At Dynamic Health, we will help you to get to the route of the thoughts and feelings that are being triggered at work or school that have become overwhelming and cause you problems. In this way, you can address the issues that burden you, allowing you to find or return to, more positive ways of coping and feeling greater fulfilment.
Adjustment to children and parenting
Coping with infidelity
Grieving family losses
Improving emotional closeness and intimacy
Other relationship difficulties
Working through conflict
At Dynamic Health, couples therapy is an opportunity to look at these patterns, understand them, and if a couple chooses to, start to think, feel and act differently because they recognize there is a shared wish for something more.
Psychological assessments serve to summarise complex information about an individual’s functioning related to their mental and emotional health and also provide recommendations for psychological treatment where appropriate.